Commonly used as a vegetable, butternut squash is a fruit that can be roasted, sauteed, toasted, mashed to be used in casseroles, bread, muffins, and pies, or in our purpose of this post — pureed for soups such as this delicious Winter Squash recipe.
This very rich and comforting soup is will take you on a rollercoaster ride of tastiness, warmth, emotions, and fulfill you with many health benefits. The ginger adds a lot of flavor and hotness.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH is a common variation of the winter squash family. It has a thick, tough waxy exterior with a bright orange firm flesh. This makes the fruit suitable for storage over several months. Since it is grown in the summertime, harvested in the winter, it can be eaten during the winter season. Butternut squash plus its many family members can enhance or form a strong basis for many sweet and savoury dishes.
As we have learned, consuming fruits and vegetables have been linked to the ability to reduce the risk of many health conditions and battle many of them. Butternut squash is no exception — consuming this plant food decreases the risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and overall mortality. It can contribute to a healthier lifestyle, by enhancing complexion, increasing overall energy, and its nutritional content makes it beneficial for digestion, blood pressure and leaves you with healthier skin and hair.
Although butternut squash is a healthful option, it does contain a high amount of potassium which means for some it should be consumed in moderation. For people with kidney problems, they should take care when consuming large amounts of potassium for their kidneys may be unable to remove excess potassium from the blood which could be fatal.
PREP LIST TIME: 1 hour 30 minutes (Serves 6 – 8)
- 2 butternut squash (beige coloured, pear-shaped squash)
- 3 onions — chopped
- 1 garlic head
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder mild
- 2 tins organic vegetable broth (found in the natural foods section of grocery stores)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger — chopped
Shall We Begin?
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Wash squash and pierce with a knife twice. Place both squash whole in a large baking dish/sheet with parchment paper. Take one head of garlic and slice a small amount off the top to reveal the garlic and drizzle with 1 tsp of olive oil. Wrap in foil and place next to squash. Bake for 1 hour — or until well done (Knife should be able to pierce through)
- When well done, let squash cool. Cut lengthwise and scoop out seeds and discard. Scoop out the squash and place aside, as well as squeezing the garlic from its skin and add with squash.
- In a frying pan, heat remaining olive oil and saute onions until soft and golden. Add curry powder and ginger, and let cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth and squash mixture. Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes to infuse flavours.
- In small batches, blend in blender until smooth, or use a hand blender. Add more broth if needed.
- Eat Strong. Feel Good. Live Happily.