Even though muffins are irresistible, it’s a hard fact knowing that it contains demons that contribute to making you grow — lengthwise that is. Luckily, we have a recipe for cornbread muffins that are demon-safe and guilt-free!
This recipe has been adapted from “Amy’s Healthy Baking”.
But sorry… did we read that right? “Healthy” cornbread muffins? Why yes you did. These perfect healthy cornbread muffins are a lot moister and tender than regular cornbread muffins. It uses no oil, refined flour or sugar, and the ultimate blessing is that its super simple to make! The cherry on top is that they’re only 116 calories!
Both finely ground and medium-grind cornmeal will work for this recipe. These muffins will actually taste corny, if you catch our drift since we will be using more cornmeal than flour in this recipe. Keep in mind that not all brands of cornmeal measure and weigh exactly the same, so look at the side of your box or bag of cornmeal and find the serving size in both cups and grams.
Side note: it is very important that you measure the cornmeal and flour correctly — too much of either ingredient will turn the muffins dry.
Side note II: To further enhance moist and tenderness, a small amount of white vinegar will be added. Trust us, you won’t taste it. It reacts with the baking soda which allows the muffins to rise better and turn out with a more tender texture.
Side note III: Since we’re using a small amount of butter, the rest of the tender texture comes from the Greek yogurt. It adds the same moisture to the batter as extra butter or oil but for a fraction of the calories. Another cherry on top is that it gives it a protein boost!
PREP LIST TIME: 22 – 30 minutes (Yields 12 muffins)
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) cornmeal
- 3/4 cup (90g) white whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp (7g) unsalted butter or coconut oil — melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large egg whites — room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120g) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30ml) honey
- 2 tbsp (30ml) white vinegar
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (115g) corn kernels (canned corn rinsed and drained)
Shall We Begin?
- Preheat the oven to 350*F — line 12 muffin cups with paper muffin liners. Coat the liners with nonstick cooking spray
- In a medium bowl — whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl — whisk together butter, egg whites, and vanilla. Stir in the Greek yogurt, mixing until no large lumps remain. Stir in the honey and white vinegar.
- Alternate between adding the cornmeal mixture and milk to the wet mix. Starting with the cornmeal mixture, and ending with it. Stirring until incorporated. Gently fold in the corn kernels.
- Divide batter between the prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350*F for 19-22 minutes or until the centers feel firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with crumbs attached.
- Cool in the pan for at least 5 minutes.
- Eat Strong. Feel Good. Live Happily.