Need an alternative to cereal? Granola is your best bet. Most granola’s consists of rolled oats, nuts, honey or other sweeteners. Nothing beats the smell of granola when it is being baked in the oven, and watching the beauty of your creation crisp up and fill the entire house with an aromatic sweet smell. Granola is love. Granola is life. This recipe for a healthy granola mix will be the staple for your yogurts, cereal, or as a snack itself!
Granola is bittersweet. Not just in taste, but in the sense of whether or not if its healthy for you or not. The answer is not a simple yes or no. Many variations and types of granola can contain just as much calories and sugar and calories as a candy bar — this is due to the loaded amounts of sugar, corn syrup, honey, or added sweeteners.
Fortunately for us, this granola recipe will provide you with a healthy snack or breakfast! The primary ingredient, rolled oats, is packed with a huge fiber punch and supports digestive health. Like previously mentioned, granola’s health benefits are masked by cereals that are loaded with the added sugar and artificial ingredients. There’s no Mask of the Phantasm in this one since the oats also deliver impressive amounts of iron while the nuts and seeds add heart-healthy unsaturated fats and some protein.
GRANOLA should be eaten in moderation. This recipe does contain sugar, oils, dietary fat, seeds, nuts, and dried fruit. Oats are what make granola’s healthy, for it is its primary ingredients. High in fiber, lowers cholesterol, and keeps you satisfied for a long period of time. Honey will be the best choice for it is a natural sugar and when infused with the unsweetened coconut and the orange zest, it definitely beats the common sweetener and corn syrups. The seeds and nuts are a part of the healthy diet. Being high in protein and fiber helps with feeling full and provides energy for your day.
PREP TIME TIME: 25 to 30 minutes (Serves many)
- 2 tbsp grapeseed or canola oil
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
Shall We Begin?
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Put oil, sesame seeds, honey, vanilla, oats, almonds, orange zest, and coconut in a large bowl. Stir everything together until thoroughly coated.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet with a rim and spread out ingredients. Sprinkle with cinnamon on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Halfway through, give the granola a stir a couple times with a spatula to make sure everything gets evenly browned.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes. You can break apart and crumble. Store in a zip-lock plastic bag in the freezer until ready to eat or in a container sealed tightly.
- Enjoy as a cereal with milk, topping for yogurt, or as a snack by itself!
- Eat Strong. Feel Good. Live Happily.